Thursday, November 27, 2014

reading and briefing cases - tip I wish I knew my first year

When reading and briefing cases I wish someone had told me the benefits of color coding my notes and what I highlight.
I suggest using the green for the plaintiff/state/group that initiated the suit, orange for the defendant/accused/one being sued.  I also use pink to highlight the issue/question that the case decides and the rule or take away.  Blue can be used for noting the cases that are cited in the case you are reading or dissent if it is important.  I use yellow to highlight anything important that is not one of the above (such as another rule that I may want to remember or use the wording for it in an essay).  Purple is what I use to note what my professor feels is important in the case (either staring my previous notes or adding to them).

Notes for briefing the case can be color coded the same. My favorite pens to use for this are
Pentel Wow
Staedtler Maxum
PaperMate

Yes, there are extra colors in the above mentioned packs, but that is OK, you can use them to for other notes or if you want to note definitions or material from other sources.
A great free legal dictionary is Nolo's Free Dictionary of Law Terms and Legal Definitions

Don't forget highlighters if you are highlighting or book briefing (I am in my last year of law school and was one that never felt confident with book briefing, but I know people who can do it).
Ticonderoga
PaperMate
Sharpie

I wish I would have been given these hints earlier, I am hoping by sharing it may help others as they go through law school.

No comments:

Post a Comment